Another blinding Strata-East release from Pure Pleasure. A Soul-Jazz-Modal 70’s masterpiece, Harold Vick’s Don’t Hold Back, Jazz simply at its best and extremely sought after.
“One of the best-ever Strata East sessions!” – Dusty Groove, Inc.
Expertly mastered by Ray Staff and pressed on the best Pallas 180 gm Vinyl.
Re-mastering by: Ray Staff at Air Mastering, Lyndhurst Hall, London
For a label that wasn’t around long, Strata East achieved the same sort of label recognition that Impulse! or Blue Note managed to build. In other words, you knew what you were getting when you bought a record on the label, even if you didn’t know the names on the outside of the cover.
“Don’t Look Back” is an album led by American saxophonist Harold Vick recorded in 1974 and released in the wake of Harold Vick’s recovery from a heart attack, which may partially explain the passion with which he approaches his playing throughout.
One of the best-ever Strata East sessions! The album’s a masterfully conceived session by reed player Harold Vick – best known to the world as the funky tenorist from albums by John Patton and Jack McDuff in the 60s, but emerging here as an incredibly sensitive soul jazz player, capable of turning out some incredibly sophisticated and emotional compositions. Vick produced and wrote all the material on the album. A treasure all the way through. (Dusty Groove, Inc.)
All selections composed and arranged by Harold Vick
Produced by Harold Vick
Recorded At – Blue Rock Studios, New York City
Mixed At – Generation Sound Studio
Recording Engineer Eddie Korvin
Mixing Engineer Tony May
1. Don’t Look Back – Harold Vick, tenor saxophone /Virgil Jones, Trumpet / George Davis, alto flute / Kiane Zawadi, euphonium / Joe Bonner, piano/tuba / Sam Jones, bass / Billy Hart, drums.
2. Melody For Bu – Harold Vick, flute /Virgil Jones, flugelhorn / George Davis, alto flute / Kiane Zawadi, euphonium / Joe Bonner, piano / Sam Jones, bass / Billy Hart, drums.
3. Senor Zamora – Harold Vick, tenor saxophone /Virgil Jones, trumpet / George Davis, alto flute / Kiane Zawadi, euphonium / Joe Bonner, Fender Rhodes / Sam Jones, bass / Billy Hart, drums.
1. Stop And Cop – Harold Vick, bass clarinet/flute / George Davis, guitar / Joe Bonner, piano/percussion / Sam Jones, bass / Billy Hart, drums/percussion / Jimmy Hopps, percussion.
2. Lucille – Harold Vick, tenor saxophone / Joe Bonner, piano / Sam Jones, bass / Billy Hart, drums.
3. Prayer – Harold Vick, flute/alto flute/soprano saxophone/bass clarinet / Joe Bonner, Fender Rhodes
Pure Pleasure / Strata East SES-7431