Nérija are the septet of contemporary jazz luminaries, Nubya Garcia (tenor saxophone), Sheila Maurice-Grey (trumpet), Cassie Kinoshi (alto saxophone), Rosie Turton (trombone), Shirley Tetteh (guitar), Lizy Exell (drums) and Rio Kai (bass). Rooted in friendship, Nérija is a collective whose breakneck shifts in tempo and style rely on a deep understanding of mood, temperament and expression, a solid show of trust that extends beyond the usual bonds between musicians.
Recorded in the boat-shaped confines of London’s legendary Soup Studios and produced by Kwes, the overarching goal with Blume was to simply capture the rawness, warmth, joy and the spirit of their relationship and performance. One of the recording aims was to channel the feel of Teo Macero and Stanley Tonkel’s records with Miles Davis during his Columbia years, thinking “forward” as they did but for this band, capturing the controlled chaos and frame it with a timeless elegance.
Blume is a truly breath-taking collection of compositions that perfectly encapsulates everything Nérija; vibrant, engaging, infectious and truly current. For just over an hour, they take us on a sprawling wonderful journey, arriving at what is a majestic body of work; their personal and collective experiences and inspirations over the last half decade or so.
FORMAT: 2 x heavyweight 12” CRYSTAL CLEAR coloured vinyl – Side D) etched
Gatefold outer sleeve
1. Nascence – Composed by Nérija Solos from Sheila Maurice-Grey, Rosie Turton and Lizy Exell
2. Riverfest – Composed by Nérija Solos from Shirley Tetteh and Rio Kai
3. Last Straw – Composed by Sheila Maurice-Grey Solos from Nubya Garcia and Sheila Maurice-Grey 4. Partner Girlfriend Lover – Composed by Shirley Tetteh Solo from Shirley Tetteh
5. EU (Emotionally Unavailable) – Composed by Cassie Kinoshi Solos from Cassie Kinoshi and Nubya Garcia
6. Blume – Composed by Nubya Garcia Lead line from Sheila Maurice-Grey and Nérija on vocals
7. Equanimous – Composed by Rio Kai Solos from Rosie Turton and Shirley Tetteh
8. Swift – Composed by Lizy Exell Solos from Lizy Exell and Cassie Kinoshi
9. Unbound – Composed by Rosie Turton Solos from Rosie Turton and Nubya Garcia
10. Blume ii – Composed by Nubya Garcia Lead line from Sheila Maurice-Grey and Nérija on vocals