Before his untimely death in 2012, renowned American rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose began recording an ambitious passion project with bassist Ricky Phillips (Styx, Bad English) and drummer Eric Singer (Kiss, Alice Cooper). The idea was to record 10 songs with 10 different singers and call the album 10X10. Sadly, Montrose was unable to see the album through during his lifetime. Instead, Phillips made it his mission to finish the songs by enlisting a small army of Ronnie’s musician friends to record the vocals and the guitar solos for each song, completing the album in recent years.
10×10 features inspired pairings, like Deep Purple singer Glenn Hughes with Def Leppard guitarist Phil Collen (“Still Singin’ With The Band”) and singer Sammy Hagar with Toto guitarist Steve Lukather (“Color Blind”). Legendary blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa also showcases his guitar talents on the track “The Kingdom’s Come Undone” with Ricky Phillips on vocals. A few artists both sing and play, like Edgar Winter (“Love Is An Art”) and Tommy Shaw (“Strong Enough”).
Several artists who appear on 10X10 had recorded with Ronnie during his career, like Edgar Winter, who included the guitarist on his 1972 album, They Only Come Out At Night. Sammy Hagar got his start singing with Montrose. Between 1973-75, he recorded two influential albums – Montrose and Paper Money – with the band and toured the world.
FORMAT: 1LP black 180 gram vinyl
1. Heavy Traffic (Feat. Eric Martin & Dave Meniketti)
2. Love Is An Art (Feat. Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer)
3. Color Blind (Feat. Sammy Hagar & Steve Lukather)
4. Still Singin’ With The Band (Feat. Glenn Hughes, Phil Collen & Jimmy “Z” Zavala)
5. Strong Enough (Feat. Tommy Shaw)
1. Any Minute (Feat. Mark Farner & Ricky Phillips)
2. The Kingdom’s Come Undone (Feat. Ricky Phillips & Joe Bonamassa)
3. One Good Reason (Feat. Bruce Turgon & Brad Whitford)
4. Head On Straight (Feat. Davey Pattison & Marc Bonilla)
5. I’m Not Lying (Feat. Gregg Rolie, Tom Gimbel and Lawrence Gowan)